What is the CBD extraction technology?
The study found that cannabis contains more than 130 cannabinoids (cannabinoids are the active ingredients extracted from cannabis plants), and most of these cannabinoids have high application value. Among them, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabisphenol) are two common cannabinoids. THC is a hallucinogenic addictive component of cannabis. It is classified into industrial cannabis according to THC content (THC <0.3%). Cannabis (0.3% <THC <0.5%), entertaining cannabis (0.5% <THC, also known as drug cannabis).
Unlike THC, CBD is not fascinating and addictive. It has a high market value for this "toxicity". CBD has high market value. CBD is used in medical treatment, it has anti-inflammatory, anti-epileptic, anti-cancer, Anxiety, treatment of depression and other effects; applied to food, improve sleep quality, improve immunity, etc.; applied to skin care products, anti-oxidation, anti-inflammatory and acne, etc. So how is CBD extracted?
The content of CBD in various parts of cannabis is usually decreased in the order of bracts, flowers, leaves, thin stems and thick stems, and is the highest in the flowers and leaves of female flowers. Therefore, the leaves are usually selected for extracting CBD.
CBD extraction method
CO2 extraction is divided into supercritical, subcritical and "medium key" categories, and the use of supercritical is by far the most commonly used plant extraction method. The supercritical material gradually dissolves liquids and the like by the movement of carbon dioxide gas, and finally provides a safe and pure CBD product.
- Prepare carbon dioxide in a compression chamber, reduce the temperature below -69 °F and increase the pressure to above 75 psi, at which point the CO2is converted to a liquid.
- Increase temperature and pressure until the liquid becomes "supercriticalstate". In fact, the CO2can fill a container such as a gas while maintaining a density such as a liquid. When CO2 is in a supercritical state, it is the ideal choice for chemical extraction because it does not cause denaturation or damage.
- Place high quality marijuana in the extractor, dissolve the SCO2in the extractor and collect the plant extract.
- Feed the liquid C02into the low pressure separator chamber and the plant extract will be automatically separated from the C02.
- The CO2return to the storage tank and drain the CBD oil from the separator.
Extracted with CO2 gas (Carbon Dioxide), this is the purest and gentlest way of making CBD Oil without the use of either heat or solvents.
Disadvantages: Expensive equipment and highly specialized
This simple extraction method usually extracted from cannabis plant trimmings by using ethanol as a solvent.
- Ethanol is added to the trimmingsand mixed for a few minutes to dissolve the ethanol in the extract of the plant material.
- Ethanol is filtered from thetrimmings.
- Slowly heat the ethanol/extract mixture until all the ethanol has evaporated, only the plant extractremain.
Advantages: simple and inexpensive.
Disadvantages: Danger (ethanol is very flammable); it is likely to produce oils containing chlorophyll or other harmful pollutants.
Olive oil extraction
- Heating the plant for a period of time at a specific temperature to activate the plant's chemicals. Most experts recommend heating at 248 °F for 60 minutes or at 284 °F for 30 minutes.
- Add the plant material to the olive oil and heat to 212 °F for up to 2 hours (at least 1 hour). This process is extracting cannabinoids and will eventually get CBD oil.
- Both safe and inexpensive
- Easy, you can extract at home.
- The oil is perishable and should be stored in a cool, dark area and used as soon as possible.
- The production capacity is too low.
Dry ice extraction
Dry ice extraction can also be done at home, but it takes more time and effort than olive oil extraction.
- Cut the cannabis plant into small pieces and place in a bucket. Cover the plants with dry ice and leave for 3 minutes. It is best to fill the buckets again with dry ice.
- Place the mesh bag on the bucket, place the bucket on the Plexiglas, and shake the resin through the mesh bag as much as possible.
- The mixture becomes increasingly pure by repeated filtration.
- Excess water is drained from the top, allowing the extract to precipitate at the bottom to dry until it becomes powder.
Advantages: simple and inexpensive; If done correctly, the production is more than extraction of olive oil
Disadvantages: Excessive shaking, the quality of oil decline
The goal of CBD extraction technology is to improve the extraction rate and purity of CBD, remove THC residues as much as possible, and avoid the use of toxic organic solvents to ensure product safety and environmental protection.